Biohacking is one of the top wellness trends for 2018, according to Well and Good, but most of us do not have the time in our days to meal prep or drink 8 cups of water, let alone biohack our way to a healthy happier life.
Over the years I've found some simple biohacks, these are effortless fixes I have seamlessly implemented into my own life. The sort of things you do once, sign up for free and continue to reap the benefits of going forward.
BLUELIGHT AND SCREENTIME
Screentime is something we all are familiar with, and with kids and adults on average being exposed to their phones, computers and tablets for an average of 4-7 hours per days it’s a growing concern when it comes to the effects on our health. The blue light emitted from screens is the biggest issue, followed by wifi radiation and so on...
Screen time, in general, can impact things like:
· hormone regulation and our endocrine system
· sleep cycles
· cortisol and our stress response
· metabolism and control of energy storage in the body
· obesity and on the cardiovascular system
· neurological and developmental effects
· posture issues leading to neck and shoulder pain
· carpertunnel syndrome
I use a bluelight filter guard on my computer to help block blue light when I’m working especially after the sun sets and before it rises. This allows me to stay in touch with my natural sleep cycles and avoid blue light exposure as much as possible.
You can install this on your devices here:
If you don’t use Chrome try: Just Get Flux
For Your Phone
Now grab your phone and enable Night Shift
Night Shift isn't an application you download, but it's an iOS feature worth knowing about if you regularly use your iPhone or iPad after sunset or before sunrise.
- If your device is running on iOS 9.3 or later, you can simply swipe up from the bottom to see the control center and then tap the sun/moon icon to turn on Night Shift. You can optionally choose to turn it on for the time being until 7 AM the next morning or schedule your settings so that it automatically turns on and off at specific times every night.
- In addition to scheduling specific times for Night Shift to turn on, you can also adjust the warmth of the screen tint, brightness level and more.
- Anytime you want to temporarily turn Night Shift off, just swipe up to access the control center and tap the sun/moon icon so that it's no longer highlighted.
The popularity of meditation apps and tools to help you get focused and commit to a daily meditation practice is on the rise. I personally use Calm app on my phone daily.
Recently I added the Chrome extension to my laptop and it’s amazing!
When opening a new browsing tab it reminds me to take a few breaths and you can a desktop meditation or enable nature sounds too.
Staying focused can be tough with a constant stream of notifications, emails, and phone calls demanding your attention. Amid the noise, understanding your brain’s limitations and working around them can improve your focus and increase your productivity.
I use a few apps to help me stay focused and dial down my ADD tendencies.
Momentum Extension help me focus and create a daily to-do list. Every time I open a tab it displays a beautiful photo and reminder of what I’ve choose to focus on that day.
This app uses The Pomodoro Technique, which teaches you to work with time, instead of struggling against it. A revolutionary time management system, it is at once deceptively simple to learn and life-changing. It allows you to set 25 minute time blocks and block outside distractions while focusing in. After your 25 minutes elapses you have grown a tree- how cool. You also take a brain break, grab some water, a healthy snack and plan your next task.
In Forest, you earn coins for finishing your focused task. The best part is that Forest team partners with a real-tree-planting organization, Trees for the Future, to plant real trees on the earth.
I hope these tools, apps and hacks really help you to find your way to a better night sleep, leave you feeling calm and relaxed while being productive and stay focused during your work days.
I'd love to hear your feedback on lother apps or hacks you have been using to help you manage your days and feel your best. If you need more helping balancing your sleep cycles, mood and hormones don't be afraid to reach out.