This is not your typical flour and yes it is made from 100% ripened bananas. So cool eh? This means it is allergy friendly and works great as a multi-purpose flour.
It checks all the boxes too
- Gluten Free
A few tips to keep in mind when using it:
The flour is beige-grey in color. You will not get light coloured muffins or cookies.
It doesn’t smell like banana, but it does have a bit of a banana flavour.
It’s very powdery and will disperse everywhere, so be careful when opening the container and measuring it out for use.
Use 3/4 cup banana flour for every cup of wheat flour in a recipe.
For pancakes made with banana flour -they came out delicious and moist but a tad dense so check out my recipe for Lakanto Pumpkin Pancakes instead.
So I’ve come up with two great recipes for you to try using this BANANA FLOUR (click the link to shop for yours now)
Banana Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ¾ cup banana flour
- ¾ cup coconut flour
- ½ tsp aluminium free baking soda
- ¼ tsp Himalayan sea salt
- ½ cup of coconut oil
- 2-3 tbsp of water (for the right consistency of dough)
- ½ cup or honey or maple syrup
- 1 large egg or 1 flax egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup of Enjoy Life vegan dark chocolate chips or chunks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together banana flour, coconut flour and baking soda.
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, cream coconut oil and honey together and an egg and mix until completely incorporated. Add vanilla and chocolate chips, and mix until just combined.
- Using a tablespoon, place 12 to 13 cookies on a cookie sheet, spaced about 2 inches apart. Bake for 7 to 8 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Repeat with any remaining cookie dough.
Next up is my new favourite breakfast muffin packed with protein and healthy fats.
PALEO BANANA NUT BUTTER MUFFINS.
They are allergen free and if you can’t do almond butter (school friendly) try sun butter instead.
- 3-4 large ripe bananas
- 3 eggs, room temperature or 2 flax eggs (vegan friends)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup organic raw almond butter or sun butter
- ⅓ cup banana flour or coconut flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a 12 pan muffin tin with natural paper liners or grease with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl or mixer, combine the mashed bananas, eggs, coconut oil, vanilla extract and ⅓ cup almond butter until fully combined.
- Add the coconut /banana flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt to the wet ingredients and mix well. Fold in the walnuts.
- Divide the batter between the prepared muffin tins. Top with pecans.
- Bake for about 16-19 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin should come out clean- you know the drill.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes.
I hope you enjoy both of these delicious recipes and have a chance to try banana flour in your winter baking.